Food poisoning warning: Woman poisons herself with BEANS in simple slow cooker mistake

While it’s rarely serious, food poisoning can lead to some less than pleasant symptoms. This includes feeling of nausea, being sick, diarrhoea, stomach cramps, a general feeling of unwellness, and a high temperature of 38 degrees Celsius or above. It is often associated with incorrectly cooked meat, but you can get food poisoning in a whole host of ways – should you eat something which has been contaminated with germs, the NHS website explains. Recently, a vegan found herself struck ill with the issue, having made a blunder in the kitchen.

Anne Sullivan, whose name has been changed, had been hoping to up her protein by making a white bean stew, Yahoo reports.

However, the meat-free meal actually saw her run into a rather undesirable problem.

The recipe instructed the woman to pre-soak some beans, which she began to do as directed.

Then, Anne placed the food into her slow cooker.

“I started them in the morning and left them simmering all day – I thought that was enough,” she said.

Hours later, Anne took a look at the meal she had been preparing earlier.

I must have looked awful, too, because my boss told me to go home

Anne Sullivan

But, to her dismay, the beans hadn’t grown in size.

Unfazed, Anne, who works in a library, served a portion and took it with her to work.

Come lunchtime, she tucked into her slow-cooked meal – only to discover the beans were tough and chewy, and clearly not fully cooked.

Having eaten the food, she soon began to feel dizzy and faint, with a colleague noticing her change in appearance.

“I must have looked awful, too, because my boss told me to go home and get some sleep,” she said. “I felt like throwing up.”

In an effort to feel better, Anne took a short nap on a library sofa, explaining: “I woke up feeling a bit better, and afterward I went and ate a large meal, which seemed to help with the symptoms.”

Dangerous bacterial infections

Dangerous bacterial infections from food poisoning to meningitis.

Sepsis is also referred to as blood poisoning or septicaemia, it is a potentially life-threatening condition triggered by an infection or injury

Despite having been overcome with illness the day before, Anne served the stew to herself and boyfriend the following day.

As they dined, the pair pondered what could have caused her symptoms, at which point, Anne’s partner suggested it may have been the very beans they were eating at that moment – and, soon enough, her honest mistake saw them both fall ill.

Food experts at Ohio State University explain that all dry beans contain the compound phytohaemagglutinin, also known as PHA, which can be toxic at high levels.

It can be destroyed if cooked at high levels of heat, with the FDS suggesting this is done by first soaking dry red kidney beans for at least five hours in water, changing water periodically if possible.

Having drained the beans, they should be boiled in fresh water, but not in a slow cooker, for at least 30 minutes – although the toxin itself is usually destroyed by being boiled at 100 212 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes.

Source: Read Full Article