Green Bean and Tuna Salad with Basil Dressing
Photo by Joseph De Leo, Food Styling by Anna Stockwell
Our idea of salad for dinner in the height of summer means minimal cooking, lots of fresh greens, and enough protein to feel filling. Here, that means quickly blanched green beans, canned white beans, parsley leaves, and Little Gem lettuce get tossed in a punchy basil dressing with oil-packed tuna and capers.
- 4 servings
- Active Time
- 30 minutes
- Total Time
- 30 minutes
- 1 shallot, coarsely chopped
- 3 Tbsp. sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, plus more
- 1 lb. green beans, trimmed
- 1 1/2 cups basil leaves
- 6 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large or 2 small heads of Little Gem lettuce or romaine hearts, leaves separated
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can white beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 cup parsley leaves with tender stems
- 1/4 cup capers, drained
- 1 (6-oz.) jar oil-packed tuna, drained, flaked into pieces
- Combine shallot, vinegar, and 1 tsp. salt in a blender jar. Let sit 5–10 minutes to lightly pickle.
- Meanwhile, cook green beans in a large pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Drain, then run under very cold water until cool to the touch.
- Add basil, oil, lemon juice, and pepper to shallot mixture and blend until mostly smooth. Pour dressing into a large bowl. Add green beans, lettuce, white beans, parsley, and capers and toss with your hands to coat. Add tuna and gently toss to combine. Transfer salad to a platter.
Source: Read Full Article