Grilled Greens and Cheese on Toast
Photo by Chelsea Kyle, Food Styling by Kate Buckens
Have everyone pile charred Halloumi cheese, kale, and cherry tomatoes onto grilled bread rubbed with garlic for an almost-instant summer dinner. Or, you can skip the bread and treat the same ingredients as a side salad to go alongside grilled meat.
- 2 servings
- Active Time
- 25 minutes
- Total Time
- 25 minutes
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for grill and drizzling
- 1 large or 2 small bunches Tuscan kale, stems removed
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 6 oz. cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 lb. Halloumi cheese, sliced into 1/2" planks
- 1 lemon, halved crosswise
- 4 thick slices country-style bread
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled, halved
- Special Equipment
- 2 (8"–12"-long) metal skewers
- Prepare a grill for medium-high heat. Oil grate. Toss kale with 2 Tbsp. oil, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper in a large bowl; set aside.
- Thread tomatoes onto skewers, then drizzle with oil; season lightly with salt.
- Grill tomato skewers, Halloumi, and lemon halves, turning skewers and cheese halfway through, until charred and softened, 6–8 minutes. Transfer to a platter.
- Meanwhile, drizzle bread with oil; season lightly with salt. Grill until golden brown and crisp, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to platter. Rub one side of each slice with halved garlic clove.
- Grill kale, placing it crosswise across grate so it doesn’t fall through the gaps and turning occasionally, until charred in places and softened throughout, 2–3 minutes. Transfer to platter alongside Halloumi, tomatoes, and bread.
- Push tomatoes off skewers. Squeeze charred lemon halves over Halloumi, tomatoes, kale, and bread. Drizzle with oil.
Source: Read Full Article