"Instant" Mac and Cheese Recipe
"No-boil, no-bake, one-pan mac and cheese is not just possibly simple, but simply possible! On top of producing awesome taste and texture, the whole procedure only took a few minutes longer than the boxed stuff; not to mention we avoided about a dozen ingredients we probably shouldn’t be eating. Just make sure to grate your own (high-quality) Cheddar and turn off the heat as soon as the cheese melts, and the process should go smoothly."
- Bring milk, salt, cayenne, mustard, nutmeg, and 1 tablespoon butter to a simmer in a pot over medium heat. Stir in macaroni. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until firm yet tender to the bite, about 8 minutes. Do not undercook.
- Meanwhile, melt remaining butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add bread crumbs and toast until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir cheeses into the cooked macaroni. Reduce heat to low and stir just until melted. Turn off heat, cover, and let sit for 3 minutes. Uncover, stir, and season to taste.
- Spoon mac and cheese into warm serving bowls; sprinkle toasted breadcrumbs on top.
- Chef’s Notes:
- If replacing kosher with fine salt, use 1/2 teaspoon.
- Use 2 packed cups of any variety of Cheddar you prefer.
Per Serving: 505 calories;34.2 g fat;26.4 g carbohydrates;23.2 g protein;101 mg cholesterol;921 mg sodium.Full nutrition
Source: Read Full Article