Lemon Dill Potato Beet Salad
Active Time: 15 MinsTotal Time1 Hour 15 Mins
Yield: Serves 4
Tender cooked beets add color and sweet flavor to your usual potato salad. We recommend using golden (yellow) beets in this recipe because red beets will turn the entire dish a bright shade of pink. A tangy sour cream-yogurt dressing flavored with fresh dill and lemon brings these two root vegetables together in perfect harmony.
- 1 pound baby golden beets (5 to 6 small beets or 2 medium), trimmed
- 1 pound baby red potatoes, quartered
- 2garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 4thyme sprigs
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons plain whole-milk yogurt
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest plus 1 Tbsp. fresh juice (from 1 lemon)
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, divided
How to Make It
Place beets in a medium saucepan with water to cover. Bring to a boil over high. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer, uncovered, until fork-tender, about 20 minutes. Drain; cool 10 minutes. Peel beets, and cut into quarters (or cut into eighths if using larger beets). Place in a large mixing bowl.
While beets are cooking and cooling, place potatoes, garlic, thyme, and 1 tablespoon of the salt in a medium saucepan. Add water to cover, and bring to a boil over high. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are fork-tender, about 10 minutes. Drain, discarding garlic and thyme; cool about 20 minutes. Add potatoes to cooled beets in bowl; refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, about 30 minutes.
Whisk together yogurt, sour cream, lemon zest and juice, vinegar, pepper, 1 tablespoon of the dill, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt in a small bowl until smooth and combined. Add to chilled potato-beet mixture, and toss to coat. Transfer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 tablespoon dill, and serve immediately.
Source: Read Full Article