Total Time: 1 Hour
Yield: Serves 10 (serving size: 1 cup)
Made with a nourishing combo of five different grains (oats, grits, barley, quinoa, and brown rice), this creamy porridge is the hearty, budget-friendly breakfast you need on chilly mornings. Top your porridge with cinnamon, brown sugar, nuts, fruit, or whatever else you like.
- 8 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup uncooked old-fashioned regular rolled oats
- 3/4 cup uncooked stone-ground grits
- 3/4 cup uncooked pearled barley
- 1/2 cup uncooked tri-color quinoa
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Dark brown sugar, cinnamon, pecans, fruit (optional)
How to Make It
Bring water, milk, and salt to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high. Whisk in all grains, and return mixture to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover; simmer, stirring often, until rice is tender, about 45 minutes.
Stir in butter, and serve with desired toppings.
Source: Read Full Article