Shrimp and Grits Casserole
Active time:25 min. Total time:50 min.
Yield: Serves 6 (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)
This casserole is tangy and cheesy, but thanks to the tomato and mushroom mixture there’s a nice richness here as well—just how shrimp and grits should be. It’s perfect for a holiday potluck or buffet-style brunch, especially with a crisp green salad and a mimosa or Bloody Mary.
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup uncooked yellow grits
- 12 ounces Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon canned tomato paste
- 1large egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion (from 1 [10-oz.] onion)
- 6 ounces sliced fresh button mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped carrots (from 2 large [6 oz. total] carrots)
- 5medium garlic cloves, minced (1 1/2 Tbsp.)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions (from 3 scallions), divided
- 2(15-oz.) cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup (4 oz.) white wine
- 1 1/2 pounds large peeled, deveined raw shrimp
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 400°F. Bring stock and 1 teaspoon of the salt to a boil in a medium saucepan over high. Whisk in grits; cook, whisking often, until smooth, about 20 minutes. Whisk together cooked grits, cheese, tomato paste, and egg in a bowl. Set aside until ready to use.
While grits cook, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add onion, mushrooms, and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, 7 to 8 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, and 1/4 cup of the scallions; cook, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and wine. Bring to a boil over high; reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in shrimp, pepper, and remaining 2 teaspoons salt. Remove from heat.
Spread grits mixture into a 13- x 9-inch casserole dish. Top evenly with shrimp mixture. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake in preheated oven until casserole is bubbly and shrimp are cooked through, about 18 minutes. Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup scallions.
Source: Read Full Article