Smoky Field Pea-and-Greens Dip
Active Time: 25 MinsTotal Time1 Hour 20 Mins
Yield: Serves 8
This rich and cheesy dip is perfect for game day or any get-together that calls for snacking. Made with bacon, spinach or kale, and plenty of field peas, it gets its richness from cream cheese, mayonnaise, and shredded cheese. Bake the dip until it’s golden and bubbly and serve with baguette slices or sturdy chips, like pita chips.
- 3 cups shelled fresh or thawed frozen field peas (1 lb.), rinsed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 3thick-cut bacon slices, diced
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (from 1 small onion)
- 8 cups baby spinach or kale, coarsely chopped (about 8 oz.)
- 8 ounces Italian cheese blend, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 ounces Parmesan cheese, shredded (about 2/3 cup)
- Baguette slices, for serving
How to Make It
Stir together peas and 1 teaspoon of the salt in a medium saucepan. Add water to cover by a depth of 1 inch. Bring to a boil over high, skimming foam that rises to the top. Reduce heat to medium. Partially cover, and simmer until tender, 15 to 25 minutes. Drain; transfer to a bowl. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 10 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain; reserve drippings in pan. Stir in onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add spinach in large handfuls. Cook, tossing with tongs to wilt before adding more, until wilted, 3 minutes. Stir mixture into peas in bowl.
Stir together Italian cheese blend, cream cheese, mayonnaise, paprika, garlic powder, cayenne, and remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Stir in spinach-pea mixture. Transfer to a medium-size ovenproof skillet or 1 1⁄2-quart baking dish, and smooth top. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
Bake in preheated oven until browned, 30 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes. Sprinkle with reserved bacon. Serve warm with baguette slices.
Source: Read Full Article