Mini Tomato Sandwiches With Bacon Mayonnaise
Active Time: 20 MinsTotal Time20 Mins
One of the season’s simplest and most iconic pleasures, the beloved BLT, can also double as an effortless appetizer. The quality of your tomatoes will make or break this simple sandwich. We like the color contrast of red and yellow heirloom tomatoes, but choose whichever large tomato is ripest. These little sandwiches are perfect for outdoor picnics or brunch with the ladies.
- 4bacon slices (about 3 oz.), finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 15very thin white bread slices (such as Pepperidge Farms), crusts removed
- 1large (8 oz.) red beefsteak heirloom tomato, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1large (8 oz.) yellow heirloom tomato, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
How to Make It
Place chopped bacon in a small nonstick skillet over medium; cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 6 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
Stir together bacon, mayonnaise, chives, zest, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt in a small bowl. Spread mayonnaise mixture on 10 bread slices. Layer 5 of the mayonnaise-coated bread slices with red tomato slices; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper. Top with remaining 5 mayonnaise-coated bread slices, coated side up; layer with yellow tomato slices, and sprinkle with remaining 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Top with remaining 5 bread slices.
Cut each sandwich into 4 pieces, and serve immediately.
Source: Read Full Article