Quick pickled baby carrots and beets
- 20 or so fresh baby carrots
- 1/2 cup steamed or roasted beets, diced
- 1/2 cup vinegar (white wine, apple cider, coconut, all work)
- 1/2 cup water, plus more for blanching the carrots
- 1/2 tbs salt
- 1-2 tbs honey (depending on how sweet you like it)
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 1 small clove garlic, smashed
- 1/2 tsp yellow mustard seeds, toasted
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds, toasted
- Fresh dill for garnish, optional
Trim ends of baby carrots, then wash them. I peeled mine but not sure that was necessary.
Cook carrots in boiling water for two minutes, then remove and run under cold water or put into a boil of ice water to stop the cooking. Combine with the beets in a bowl.
Separately, combine water, vinegar, mustard seeds, coriander seeds, garlic, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then dissolve salt and honey in it.
Pour hot pickling mixture over the carrots and beets, let cool, then transfer everything to an airtight container. Let sit in the fridge for at least an hour to let chill and let flavors combine.
Garnish with dill and serve.
Source: Read Full Article